Saturday, August 7, 2010

Llewellyn's 2010 Magical Almanac

August 7, Saturday

Republic Day (Ivory Coast)
Waning Moon
Moon Phase: Fourth Quarter
Color: Brown
Moon sign: Cancer
Incense: Ivy

Here is an excerpt about one of my Favorite Goddesses Artemis. This can be found on pages 233-234 of Llewellyn's 2010 Magical Almanac.





Calling on Artemis for Help with College life
by: Ellen Dugan

The first year my daughter lived in the dorms, she called me one December night very agitated because there was a major drama unfolding on her dormitory floor. It seemed that several girls were having an ongoing argument about roommates and room assignments, and the entire floor was affected by the battle. One of the girls in the thick of things was  Kat's roommate, and my daughter was counting the days until the end of the semester when everyone  switched roommates. With the pressure on for finals and no one getting any quiet for study time, she called and asked me for a spell idea to help things settle down on her floor. I thought about it a moment, I made up a quick rhyming spell, repeated it to her over the phone, and she carefully wrote it down. I then suggested that she turn on that patchouli-scented room freshener an get some magickal aromatherapy going. She also put a bit of water on her fingers to draw a banishing pentagram on the inside of her room's door in order to cleanse the dorm room and banished all the drama and loud voices.
I also recommended that she call on Artemis, the Greek goddess of the hunt. I figured if any deity was no-nonsense and tough enough to handle a bunch of arguing college girls, Artemis could handle the job nicely. While my daughter and I were talking, I could hear an argument in full swing outside her room and Kat muttered that she'd had enough and was going to fix this situation right now. She promised to call me in a few days and let me know how the spell turned out. I had to smile at the thought of my low-profile daughter casting in her dorm room at college.
The next afternoon, Kat called back to let me know that not only had the spell worked for peace and quiet the night before, but that it had actually worked within minutes. It was finally calm and also, troublesome diva of a roommate was in the process of moving completely out of the building and off campus altogether, that very day. So Kat had her week studying for finals in blissful solitude and peace. It seems like a few other friends also decided that Kat's room was the best place to study to get some quiet. How interesting. The next semester, she got a new roommate and they got along wonderfully. And yes, she still has that spell I gave her back in her freshman year. As she is resident adviser now, she says it comes in darn handy when the various roommates in the dorm are squabbling!
So we have just a few days before she moves back onto campus for her junior year. As I walk down the hall to her room I see her deep in concentration while she selects and carefully packs in bubble wrap a few special items to travel along to campus with her once more.
What are these items, you may wonder? Her two-foot-tall statute of the Goddess Bast, her patchouli-scented air freshener, a couple battery-operated tealights, Halloween decorations- as resident adviser, she loves to and is encouraged to decorate her room for the holidays. I notice some artwork with and Egyptian theme, also being carefully packed. Oh and sure enough, there is a copy of that original spell that called on Artemis. Just a few essential Pagan goodies that she takes along every year to make her dorm room on campus feel more like magickal home.

Note: I didn't write this! It doesn't belong to me and I am not making any cash off of this. I have given full credit to the author and book in which I copied it.

No comments:

Post a Comment